CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

31 by 31 Journey: Part 2


Last post I began to unpack my “31 by 31” journey and how my relationship with food had to change. This post is devoted mainly to that physical workout/weight-training aspect of things, as well as the spiritual impact as a result of this journey. I’m excited to share, so let’s get started!
Before and After
 
In the Fall the only active thing I was doing was the “Couch to 5k” App and as I mentioned in the last post I wasn’t too consistent in, but I needed to start somewhere. Once I had access to the campus gym, I began swimming on a semi-regular basis (I heart swimming!). The next thing that I had in place was to run a 10k in February. In the midst of a new full-time job and my first semester of being a full-time graduate school, I desperately needed to have a mini-goal within a goal to keep me motivated to stay in the gym and have a consistent workout regime. Usually going to the gym is the first thing to go when the business of life happens. The reality of it all is that I could always excuse away my time in the gym; I needed to make it a priority. You always make time for the things you prioritize/value the most; this was an area that I could not afford to neglect any longer.

My dear friends, Lori and Emily, came into town just for the purpose of running with me in this 10k. It was FREEZING cold that morning and Emils already was sick and Lori got sick that next week, so I felt HORRIBLE! True friends right here to do this with me for the single reason of knowing that they wanted to come alongside me to attain my goal. How blessed am I!


Faithful, loyal friends!

 
Through the ebb and flow of the semester and the increasingly amount of assignments, the motivation to keep the gym a priority waned. I am certain that I probably added on a few pounds in the month of April. It was the middle of May when I began the 21 Day Sugar Detox. A lot of testimonials on the 21dsd spoke of losing some weight, so I was hopeful because I had a little less than 10 pounds to lose. I did lose a few pounds that first week, but then completely plateaued out. I was bummed with the realization that I wouldn’t meet my weight loss goal. I was still doing running and swimming quite consistently at this point (3-4 days a week), so I wasn’t sure what I was doing wrong. I confided in Hunter to voice my frustration because even though my scale (albeit knowing that it was not 100% accurate) was telling me that while my fat % continued to decrease, my weight remained the same. Hunter graciously responded and gave me insight to what most likely my body is doing and gently nudged me to incorporate weight-training into my routine. Have you heard of “Gymtimidation” before? It’s a legitimate (though irrational) fear of the gym. And while I am fine in the pool or on the treadmill or elliptical, but I just have always had an irrational fear for the weight room. I’m not sure why; probably because there are a lot of intimidating machines that I don’t even know what to do with half of them, or by being the only girl on that side the majority of the time. Regardless, now was the time to get over my silly fear and figure things out! Hunter gave me the best birthday present by giving me a 3 day a week total body workout for 3 weeks. It gave me the confidence that I needed to begin utilizing the kettle balls, free weights and the like!
Gym Selfie- Let's do this!
 
The spiritual aspects are far-reaching and I am still learning on a daily basis of how to fully embrace 1 Corinthians 10:31: “Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all for the glory of God.” In addition I have come to appreciate more than ever what it means to persevere and have self-control and be steadfast even if I don’t see immediate results. The book entitled Every Body Matters by Gary Thomas is an excellent read and I highlighted and starred these sentences in the book that said “We need a new relationship with food altogether, seeing it as an aspect of life but not the reason for life. While food ultimately is fuel for our physical vessel, it is also something we accept as a pleasurable and good gift from God. There is evidence of his care for us in that his provision of food goes beyond necessity to include aspects of his generosity and kindness. But we need to remember that our use of food is something that, due to our sinful nature, can imprison us, assault us, and take years off our lives” (53). Coupled with this book and Abba’s Child by Brennan Manning make for a solid foundation for who we are in Christ, rather than trying to perform to gain others approval. Hunter has conveniently written a 3 part series in regards to body image and how to find your satisfaction and value, worth and identity in Jesus alone. Anything else will lead you to a dead end and a broken cistern that holds no water.

Where do I go from here? Well, I continue to faithfully truck along and "eat clean" and continuing do cardio and weight-training as my daily routine. I might not have met my goal by my original deadline, but I have full intentions of looking towards the goal to completion, to the glory of God! Thanks for being a part of this journey with me!

2 comments:

Linda

Really proud of you Suzanne. Praying you can remain steadfast and continue on toward your goal. Grateful for all that God is teaching you and for the ways you are blessing others. Blessings, Linda

Where the Redfearns Grow

Running with you was worth every sniffle! So proud of you, suz!!

"Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude."
Colossians 2:6-7
I want my life to be flowing with an attitude of gratitude towards my Lord, Jesus Christ. How could I not? He has given me abundant life and it is my prayer that I clearly represent Him in every area of my daily life of what He did on the cross on my behalf.