CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 14, 2013

That Actually Happened


Something got checked off my bucket list last month. I can’t believe that I am just getting around to blogging about it. You know when you have a few blog posts swirling around in your head, that you get a little overwhelmed to the point where it becomes a little debilitating? Yep- that’s where I’m at. But I am digressing…let’s refocus to the bucket list…

 My sister, Angie, told me in December 2011 to make sure that I kept December 2012 open because Sara Groves was coming in concert to their church. In December 2011 I was still in South Africa, so it seemed forever far away, though to go to a Sara Groves concert would just be so magical in every way. Sara Groves is who we listened to in the car on the way to the airport, tears rolling down our cheeks, before my sister and parents were to drop me off to board a plane to South Africa. I distinctively remember my first album I got of hers-“The Other Side of Something” in the summer of 2004. Then I found out she had two other albums prior to this album, so I quickly purchased them as well. And the rest is history. So from blaring “When the Saints” with the windows and sun roof down on East Texas country back roads, to the gratefulness that wells up inside when I hear “Twice As Good” because I can relate to the depth of friendships that are evident in my own life, Sara became a dear friend over the years as my (our) hearts identified with the lyrics in her songs. So yes- it was utmost importance that I keep December 2012 open for this concert.
It actually should say 97 songs, because I just downloaded "Hiding Place" from the "Songs of Deliverance" album. :)

Angie and I were like giddy school girls on our way to the airport to pick up Sara. After a little mix up on where to locate them, we found Sara, along with Melody and Ethan. Melody sang the harmony and Ethan was the sound guy. Where do we take them for a late lunch, to get “Texan culture” in? Well to Rudy’s of course! It was comical trying to describe what Rudy’s was like: “Well, ya see, it is bar-b-que restaurant set up in a gas station…” They were great sports and were not disappointed by their brisket sandwiches!
 
Decisions, Decisions...

What I loved about Sara is how “down to earth” she was and always thought she would be. She shared stories with authenticity. An example of that is when she spoke of a house they (her and Troy) and how it was just beautiful and just as the icing was to be put on top of a cupcake (she even likened the house that had brown walls to a cupcake), she felt the nudging of the Lord to sell the house and simplify and move into a smaller, quaint house and she did it is all the better because of it. She connected well with my sister and brother-in-law as they have kids around the same age. Sara even likened my brother-in-law, Andrew, to her brother-in-law!

Not the best pic, but still proof that we were hanging out with THE Sara Groves!
Melody, Sara and Ethan
The concert was fantastic and it was a nice blend of Christmas songs and all of her other songs. We made sure we got front row seats. We prayed with Sara Groves and the crew before the concert started and I felt like the whole team was in tune with the Spirit to make the concert not just a concert, but a worshipful experience as they lead people to the throne-room of God.
WORSHIPFUL
After the concert we headed to Pappasitos for some yummy Mexican food (once again sticking with the Texan cultural theme). There I got to have a good conversation with Melody and hear what makes her heart beat fast in the artist industry. The Lord is up to some big things in her life! What an honor and joy to be in the presence of some giants of the faith as they are making huge waves for HIS glory! It was one amazing night and one that we will talk about for years to come.

BEYOND grateful to hang out with Melody and Sara!
 
 
What are some of your favorite Sara Groves songs?

 

0 comments:

"Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude."
Colossians 2:6-7
I want my life to be flowing with an attitude of gratitude towards my Lord, Jesus Christ. How could I not? He has given me abundant life and it is my prayer that I clearly represent Him in every area of my daily life of what He did on the cross on my behalf.